Moroccan Carrot Chick Pea Salad with Feta and Almonds
- 1 1/2 lbs medium carrots, peeled and sliced about 1/6-inch thick
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins (golden or red)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice + 1/2 orange zest
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice + 1/2 tsp zest
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- For the dressing:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, and coriander. Season with salt to taste (about 3/4 tsp). Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop in carrots, set timer for 4 minutes then check one carrot to make sure it’s tender crisp (a very light snap to it when you bite into it). If it’s not just tender then cook another 1 minute or until just tender. Drain carrots then transfer to a salad bowl, immediately pour dressing over top and toss to evenly coat. Toss in chick peas and raisins. Chill 30 – 60 minutes (note that you can serve this warm the dressing just won’t be as thick, plus the resting period allows time for flavors to meld).
- Remove from refrigerator (or chill up to 1 day) toss in almonds, about 2/3 of the feta, the parsley and mint. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 of the feta and serve.